As many of you know our old truck was permanently damaged by a fire started from ashes in a garbage can. This also put our driver at serious risk. Our local volunteer fire department is also called out every year to extinguish resident’s garbage cans that have started on fire due to ashes. Please note that if your ashes damage the City's truck or garbage cans you may be liable for the replacement cost.
Thank you again for your attention to this matter and for keeping our employees safe!
Items that are prohibited from being placed in a city owned container are:
- Large limbs or trimmings that do not allow the container lid to close
- Flammable liquids
- Large construction, demolition, or remodeling debris
- Concrete, dirt or plaster
- Appliances or other furniture that will not allow the container lid to close
- Dead animals or parts thereof
- Vehicle batteries and motor oil
- Hazardous waste and chemicals
Whenever possible, the refuse generator shall attempt to break down materials so that they will readily fit into the container. All refuse shall be put into an authorized container. Refuse not put into the container will not be picked up.
The City of Colstrip does not have garbage collection on the following holidays: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Day, President’s Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Columbus Day, General Election Day, Veteran’s Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.